Friday, July 17, 2009

The Sun Wakes Up + Carlos Serrao

On the way back from NY on a very early flight I had the pleasure of watching the sunrise from the terminal gate with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. Her concept of how the sun works is pretty awesome - at night the sun "goes to sleep " and in the morning it "wakes up". The sunrise was beautiful, although we had to board the plane before the sun actually broke the horizon. The moments before it does are more beautiful anyway.

Sitting there on the floor with her in my lap, I saw it differently than before. Because this was a new experience for her, it was a new one for me. And we sat there silently, or at least as silently as you can with a very curious 2 year old in your lap, watching the sky slowly change through oranges and pinks and yellows.

I tried to imagine what it was like for her - attempting to grasp the concept of the sun getting out of bed, having its diapers changed, putting on clothes, then jumping up over the horizon and into the sky.


The lights from inside the terminal were reflecting in the floor to ceiling windows, and created a kind of abstract beauty that I thought captured the moment so perfectly:




I have a feeling that these are the moments that parents remember. The ones where you both learn something new together. I know that this one will be with me forever.

Then I was reminded of a killer shot that I saw in Wired last month, by superstar Carlos Serrao. A shot of Teller (from Penn + Teller) reflected in a window overlooking Las Vegas. Right now this is my favorite portrait of the year. The only bummer about it is that I didn't shoot it. Nice work Mr. Serrao!


No comments: