Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'd like to propose a toast...


Alex at ISO50 wrote something that really resonated with me.  He cites an article by Alain de Botton, which in short, says that "our minds need to go on a diet."

I was talking with my friend Drew yesterday about how everything around us seems to be trending toward automated and impersonal, including the consumption of information.

I've been in the same place as Alex lately.  Hundreds of unread items in my RSS reader, like a big stack of guilt sandwiches.    Sometimes I'll scroll through everything way too quickly instead of just hitting the "mark all as read" button, because I don't want to miss anything. 

The fact is, you can never fully catch up.  There will always be more sites to browse, more posts to read, and more ideas to post. 

After a while, everything starts to look and taste the same.

So here's to thinking carefully both about what we consume, as well as taking time to savor each bite. 

No comments: