Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Seeing songs, hearing images

Photographers and musicians have a lot in common.

Photographers create new images using a variety of tools.  When those images are presented as a portfolio, they should work together.  There needs to be a common thread (other than sharing the same creator) that connects them.

Musicians create new sounds using a variety of tools.  When those sounds are presented as an album, they should work together.  There needs to be a common thread (other than sharing the same creator) that connects them.

I have always relied on music to inspire my work.  And it's helpful when organizing images to think of how they would sound as an album.  Are they quiet or loud, simple or complex?  Do they look like they were made by the same person?  Why do songs / images appear on albums / in portfolios in a particular order? 

Seeing and listening are interchangeable.  Often when I'm working on a project, I'll try to think about making images from a musician's perspecive: What kind of album do I want to shoot?  What kind of portfolio do I want to record?  How do these images sound?
 

1 comment:

Nymph from the Merkur said...

Your images sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKeyHFM2p4 (don't look, just listen), are perfect, like a symbhiosis of nature and civilisation.
I like them.