Thursday, August 7, 2008

Fast Food Nature: Hiking in China


Needless to say, this day was absolutely terrifying. I have no idea what is holding these sidewalks to the rock, other than cement. All I knew was that they were made in China and they were the only thing separating me from a 500 foot abyss.

I can appreciate the fact that whoever designed this trail wanted to create a truly surreal, exposed, exotic, experience of the natural world -- places that most of us never see.

But there is something really sad about steamrolling a trail across a cliff using drills, steel, and cement. These are places that are supposed to be difficult to access, unless you are a world class climber, or a bird. The inaccessibility is what makes wild places like these so beautiful.

I suppose it is a good analogy for the way the world is going -- experience is becoming more a factor of convenience and quantity, than of dedication and quality.


No comments: