Thursday, September 11, 2008

Creativity + Scalability

I've been sick in bed with the flu for the last three days, and have some time to think about stuff as I stare at the ceiling. One thing that occurred to me is that when I am out of commission, there really isn't anyone that can replace me. Unlike, say, someone that makes widgets. When they're sick, they can stay home and the factory keeps churning out the widgets.

I suppose there are photographers out there who have built their businesses to include other shooters that can cover for them -- maybe in the tabletop / catalog world -- but that isn't really my thing.

Is there a way around this? I'm not just talking about sick days, but in scalability of my business. If there's only one of me, there is only so much I can accomplish in one day. If there were two of me (kind of like a medical pracitce with multiple physicians) things could be easier. My healthy me could cover for my sick me, or we could shoot two different jobs on the same day.

I guess it's what you sign up for when you decide to be a creative professional. You get paid for your unique vision. And that vision can only come from one place.

Maybe I need a clone?


No comments: