Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sagmeister Rules

Photo by Stefan Sagmeister , part of his rules for living from 2004. Above is an image from the series, which is beautifully arranged and shot.

Complaining is silly.
Either act or forget.
Thinking life will be better in the future is stupid.
Being not truthful works against me.
Helping other people helps me.
Organizing a charity group is surprisingly easy.
Everything I do always comes back to me.
Drugs feel great in the beginning and become a drag later on.
Over time I get used to everything and start taking it for granted.
Money does not make me happy.
Traveling alone is helpful for a new perspective on life.
Assuming is stifling.
Keeping a diary supports my personal development.
Trying to look good limits my life.
Worrying solves nothing.
Material luxuries are best enjoyed in small doses.
Having guts always works out for me.

Ultimately, these are all reminders about living in the present. Right now I am trying to find ways to do this. When I start to think about the future it makes me uneasy, my mind races, and I find myself lying awake at 4am worrying about stupid shit.

2 comments:

Rob Prideaux said...

All that stuff is awesome but I continually find that it's all meaningless unless I'm using my creativity in productive ways SO it seems that it's better for me to pick up my camera and find I'm doing all those things than to do all those things in the hope that I'll pick up my camera.

Have you found this to be true? I know you are productive.

Jamie Kripke said...

I guess that this is helpful in getting me to a place where I can pick up my camera and feel good about it.

But yeah it's kind of a chicken and egg thing. Sometimes if you want to go running more it helps to go buy a pair of new shoes.